US Engagement in a Two-State Solution

Wednesday, March 4, 2009 |



Text: Hillary Clinton Speech to Gaza Donors Conference (hat tip to Enduring America)

I can't say for sure how this is going to play out, but I am quite pleased with the Obama administration's commitment to "peace in the Middle East" and a two-state solution between Israel and Palestine.

I admire the fact that the Palestinian plight, especially the humanitarian crisis in Gaza, is being spoken about in clear terms, and that the US government is sending money for aid. As much as I would like to hear someone from this country with significant political power condemn the Israeli government for launching a full-scale assault and killing trapped innocents like fish in a barrel, I know that is unrealistic considering the powerful Israel lobby in this country. Hillary Clinton calling Israeli settlements "unhelpful" is as strong as critical words will get at this juncture.

Plenty of change has been happening since the November election. I hope part of this change includes the reduction of being called anti-Semitic when criticizing the Israeli government. The "Israel is always right" creed that so many people share should turn to "Israel needs to be a good neighbor and act as responsible citizens of the international community, which will ultimately lead to peace and security for its citizens."

As a Jew and the son of an Israeli, I hope that America's re-engagement with the world, with all of the diplomatic tools in its arsenal, will result in crossing the finish line to an Israeli/Palestinian two-state solution. And a lasting one at that.

Call me an optimist and a dreamer, but what other choice do I have?

0 comments: